educative.io

__contains__ clarification

Why is the Boundaries class needed? Couldn’t the evaluation be done within Grid’s __contains__ method?

Course: Clean Code in Python - Learn Interactively
Lesson: Other Properties, Attributes, and Methods

Hi @Ik_Okoro,

Thank you for your question. I appreciate your attention to detail, and I’d like to address your query more accurately.

While the lesson didn’t explicitly mention design principles, the introduction of the Boundaries class and the use of __contains__ method aligns with some fundamental design principles, specifically the principles of:

1. Single Responsibility Principle (SRP):
  • The separation of concerns between the Grid and Boundaries classes reflects a form of the Single Responsibility Principle. Each class has a specific responsibility: Grid manages the grid and its contents, while Boundaries handles the logic related to boundaries.
  1. Modularity and Encapsulation:
  • The use of the Boundaries class encapsulates boundary-related logic into a separate module, promoting modularity. This separation allows for easier maintenance and modification of specific functionality without affecting the entire codebase.

I hope this provides further insight into the underlying design considerations. If you have more questions or if there’s anything specific you’d like to discuss further from the lesson, please feel free to let me know. I’m here to assist you in your learning journey.

Happy coding!