educative.io

Educative

What is scalability says without sacrifising Latency

The course Module Web Application and software architecture in the section scalability it says: “Scalability means the ability of the application to handle & withstand increased workload without sacrificing the latency.

The phrase marked in BOLD is that correct or it should be “Scalability means the ability of the application to handle & withstand increased workload without sacrificing the Performance.” Please clarify on the same as it seems a bit off while without sacrificing latency may mean the latency while making a single request remains unchanged when faced with load, but still it seems a bit of a different that what people may expect and it confuses a bit.

The definition of scalability in this section is misinformed. Scalability in the context of a software system describes the ability of a system to respond to changes in workload (e.g. increased workload, decreased workload) with respect to the addition or removal of resources. It also includes the notion of how easy it is to add or remove said resources.

We’ve referenced scalability as follows:

“Scalability is the capability of a system, process, or a network to grow and manage increased demand. Any distributed system that can continuously evolve in order to support the growing amount of work is considered to be scalable.”

Take a look at Dynamo’s goal for reference:

This is referencing content from a different course. I believe the content in question is that of https://www.educative.io/module/lesson/web-application-architecture-101/N02LPnROXmv.

@Dipanjan_Mazumder If you’ve carefully gone through the lesson How to Improve and Test the Scalability of our Application? I’ve talked about the relation between performance and scalability :slight_smile: Latency, performance and scalability are all inter-related and even can be used interchangeably in the right context. If you go through the entire scalability lesson I believe you will get the context.

Also, the lesson has been updated.