educative.io

Easier access to test cases

Hi

I really like the content from this course I’ve seen so far, good job!

I usually prefer to do the coding challenges in my own IDE. It’s just the environment I’m most comfortable with and it gives me a chance to write my own tests, step through the code with a debugger and I can make some notes in the code that are easy for me to refer back to. I also often try to solve it in another language that’s not supported.

In other courses there are usually a few examples that can easily be adapted to some initial test cases. In this case the test cases are hidden behind interactive widgets and very difficult to access.

Is there some way to access the test case data, i.e. arguments + expected results?
It would be really useful to just be able to copy them for a table driven test.

Thanks!

Course: Grokking Coding Interview Patterns in Java - Learn Interactively
Lesson: Solution: Find Maximum in Sliding Window - Grokking Coding Interview Patterns in Java

2 Likes

Hello @Carl,
We are glad that you like the content. As far as the test case code is concerned, I am afraid that is not possible for this course, but I will see if there is a way to get the code and share it with you.
Hope this helps

Hi @Omer_Ahmed,
Thanks for getting back to me! If it’s possible for you to share it, that’d be super helpful.

Maybe a piece of feedback to consider for future courses. Especially since the code editor is not very full featured, I think making the test cases available would definitely make life easier for people who decide to use their own environment (which I can imagine a lot of professionals prefer over coding in the browser).
Even if it’s just in a simple table or text format like examples in /courses/grokking-the-coding-interview

Cheers

Lesson: Solution: Find Maximum in Sliding Window - Grokking Coding Interview Patterns in Java

I just saw the original “Grokking the coding interview” course is pending removal. Any idea how much time I have left to complete the original?
Due to this issue, I really prefer the original and did like the exercise selection in that course.

2 Likes

In case anyone stumbles upon this thread, according to support the original Grokking the Coding Interview + System Design courses will be removed from Educative by the mid of January 2023. At least we have a few more weeks to complete / take notes of the old courses.
Still wish the Test Cases tab in the new course would just show the expected result in addition to just the arguments, should be a fairly minor change and improve clarity for all users.

1 Like

Would be great if the test cases are provided. It’s pretty annoying to have to click through the options to find out which one is supposed to be the expected output or input into the try it yourself environment and try to get each one to pass to get the output. I think providing the expected output would already make things a lot easier.

Hi @Carl

Thanks for getting in touch. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed our content. I understand that you prefer coding in your IDE, which is a common practice among programmers. I appreciate that. Unfortunately, I cannot share the hidden test cases with you. The purpose of these test cases is to evaluate the code performance on input data that has not been previously seen. This is the most effective way to test your code against unexpected data. I suggest that you continue coding in your IDE, and then copy and paste your code into our widget for testing.

We hope you enjoy your experience with us at Educative! Happy learning!