ERROR: Reverse for 'edit_listing' with no arguments not found. 1 pattern(s) tried

I’m getting this error after activating the edit button of a listing
Reverse for ‘edit_listing’ with no arguments not found. 1 pattern(s) tried: [‘edit_listing/(?P<edit_id>[^/]+)/\Z’]
I followed all the steps in the course but still not sure what the reason could be.
I’m implementing it locally on my computer.

Course: https://www.educative.io/collection/10370001/5443744101302272
Lesson: https://www.educative.io/collection/page/10370001/5443744101302272/5427036108095488

Hi @Raheleh_Zarei !!
This error message suggests that there is a problem with a URL pattern in your Django application. Specifically, it appears that Django is unable to reverse the URL for the “edit_listing” view because it is missing the necessary arguments.

When you define a URL pattern in Django, you can include variables that capture values from the URL and pass them as arguments to the associated view function. For example, a URL pattern like '/listings/<int:listing_id>/' would capture an integer value from the URL and pass it as an argument to the associated view function.

If you are seeing the error message “Reverse for ‘edit_listing’ with no arguments not found”, it is likely that the URL pattern associated with the “edit_listing” view requires one or more arguments, but the URL that you are trying to reverse it with is missing those arguments.

To fix this error, you will need to determine which URL pattern corresponds to the “edit_listing” view and ensure that it is properly defined with the correct arguments. You can check your Django project’s urls.py file to find the relevant URL pattern.

Once you have identified the URL pattern, you should make sure that any URLs that use that pattern include the necessary arguments in the correct format. For example, if the URL pattern includes an argument named “listing_id”, you would need to include a value for that argument in any URLs that use the pattern, like so: '/listings/42/edit/', where “42” is the value of the “listing_id” argument.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. It worked

1 Like