educative.io

Front-end servers in distributed messaging queue

The design of our distributed messaging queue includes “front end servers”, and I typically associate the term “front end” with the part of an application that interacts directly with the user, typically through a graphical user interface. I was scratching my head wondering where this takes place, and thinking it might refer to the queue’s cloud portal for devs, before I realized that the “front end” servers are indeed back end in the context of distributed systems. I recommend considering different terminology here like gateway, ingress, client handler, broker, routing, or even first.

Course: Grokking Modern System Design Interview for Engineers & Managers - Learn Interactively
Lesson: Design of a Distributed Messaging Queue: Part 1 - Grokking Modern System Design Interview for Engineers & Managers

1 Like

Totally agree, and I had initially made the same assumption. Ingress or even as bad as “first layer” handler would have suit better.

Course: Grokking Modern System Design Interview for Engineers & Managers - Learn Interactively
Lesson: Design of a Distributed Messaging Queue: Part 1 - Grokking Modern System Design Interview for Engineers & Managers

Hi Isaac and Ridrigo,

Here, “Front-end server” typically refers to the “Application Server”. Thanks for the suggestion; we’ll rename the terminology to improve clarity.

Thank you.

1 Like