educative.io

Go project on my mac machine

I want to build and run go project on my mac machine, please provide steps to do so. i have already installed vs code.

Hi @NITIN_JAIN,

To build and run a Go project on your Mac machine, you can follow these steps:

1. Install Go: If you haven’t already, you need to install the Go programming language. You can download the installer for macOS from the official Go website: https://golang.org/dl/. Follow the installation instructions.
  2. Set Up Your Go Workspace: Go has a specific project structure. By default, Go projects are expected to be located in a specific directory structure. You can create a workspace anywhere on your system. For example, you can create a workspace in your home directory. Open your terminal and create a Go workspace directory:
mkdir ~/go

Inside the go directory, create the following subdirectories:

mkdir ~/go/src
mkdir ~/go/bin
mkdir ~/go/pkg

Your workspace structure should now look like this:

go/
├── bin/
├── pkg/
└── src/
  1. Set Your Go Path: The Go environment variable GOPATH should point to your workspace directory. You can add the following line to your shell profile (e.g., ~/.bash_profile or ~/.zshrc if you’re using Zsh) to set this environment variable:
export GOPATH=$HOME/go

Don’t forget to run source ~/.bash_profile or source ~/.zshrc (or restart your terminal) to apply the changes.
4. Create Your Go Project: In your ~/go/src directory, create a new directory for your project. For example:

mkdir ~/go/src/mygoapp
  1. Write Your Go Code: Use VS Code or your preferred code editor to write your Go code. Save the code in the directory you created in the previous step.
  2. Build and Run Your Go Project: In your project directory, you can build and run your Go application using the go command:
cd ~/go/src/mygoapp
go build
./mygoapp

This will build your project and execute the resulting binary.

Now, you’ve successfully set up your Go workspace and run your Go project on your Mac! You can use VS Code for coding and debugging, and follow these steps to build and run your applications.

1 Like