educative.io

Probably incorrect answer on Quiz (Physical Layers for Ethernet)

Hi,

Question in quiz is “Which of the following is an advantage of 10BaseT?”.
Correct answer according quiz is “Maximum distance between stations was reduced compared to Ethernet”.
Answer which looks correct for me: “It has fewer points of failure than 10Base5, 10Base2, and 10BaseF and so is more reliable”.

I see in lesson text “The cable is a weak point in 10Base2 and 10Base5 networks. Any physical damage on the cable broke the entire network and when such a failure occurred, the network administrator had to manually check the entire cable to detect where it was damaged. With 10BaseT, when one twisted pair is damaged, only the device connected to this twisted pair is affected and this does not affect the other devices.”
Doesn’t it mean that 10BaseT is more reliable?

Course: Grokking Computer Networking for Software Engineers - Learn Interactively
Lesson: Physical Layers for Ethernet

Hi, @1117,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and I appreciate your keen observation. You’re absolutely right, and your analysis is spot on.

The quiz options seem to be causing confusion, and we acknowledge the discrepancy between the correct answer and the advantageous aspects highlighted in the lesson. Your point about the reliability of 10BaseT, as explained in the lesson text, is indeed valid.

To address this, we’ve taken your feedback seriously, and I want to inform you that we have updated the entire quiz in this lesson. The revised quiz options now better align with the information provided in the lesson, offering a more accurate reflection of the advantages of 10BaseT.

We appreciate your dedication to understanding the material and your proactive approach in providing feedback. If you have any more questions or if there’s anything else you’d like assistance with, please feel free to reach out.

1 Like