educative.io

Purely adapted from another language

Hi educative.io,

Just letting you know that this course looks like purely adapted from Java (or may be JavaScript) to Python.
In code examples I see wrong indentation, usage for non-pythonic ways to get data from lists, ";"character here and there, usage of parenthesis (“if(visited[temp.data] == False)”) etc. etc.

They are all over the course. Just take a look at Solution Review: Implement Breadth First Search. But there are plenty of similar issues. I even saw check of “self is None” in tree algorithms which is non-sense. Somebody who doesn’t know Python tried to adapt it from another language and failed at that task.

1 Like

Hi @Andrew,

Thanks for reaching out. We’ve noted your concerns and are making some updates regarding the syntax.

Java (or may be JavaScript) to Python.

The course was made from scratch to maintain the integrity of the language. An example is this lesson. It explains which solution is better because it’s more Pythonic. It could not have been adapted from Java or JavaScript.

In code examples I see wrong indentation,

Incorrect indentation in Python always throws an error. So, such a mistake would pop up immediately. However, we’ve ensured all of the code runs. It would be really helpful if you could point out any instances of incorrect indentation.

usage for non-pythonic ways to get data from lists,

Can you please elaborate on this? We’ve tried to use list comprehensions and other ways to get data from lists throughout the course if that’s what you mean.

usage of parenthesis (“if(visited[temp.data] == False)”) etc. etc.

Parentheses are used in PEP-8 with if-conditions to increase readability.

Let us know if you have any other comments or suggestions.

Ayesha | Developer Advocate
Educative