educative.io

Question about Quiz Question (Upon successful allocation of a custom short URL, how does the system modify its records?)

The answer for this question used 2 databases to store the Base-10 Ids, since no two long URLs will have the same short URL, is it possible to use 1 database?

Course: Grokking Modern System Design Interview for Engineers & Managers - Learn Interactively
Lesson: https://www.educative.io/courses/grokking-modern-system-design-interview-for-engineers-managers/qV6WgYr4jJr

Hi @tao_feng

Yes, you are right that there is no need to have two separate databases for these two lists. Perhaps our illustration with two icons for the database gave the impression as if those are two physically different databases. Our intent was to show used and un-used lists as separate entities logically.

I hope it clears out the confusion. If you have any more questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.

I am not sure I understand the Quiz question here. “Upon successful allocation of a custom short URL, how does the system modify its records?” Why and Which records the system needs to modify after creation of a custom URL ? Also, when we say ‘custom short URL’ are we referring to the User selected custom characters for the URL ?

Course: Grokking Modern System Design Interview for Engineers & Managers - Learn Interactively
Lesson: Design and Deployment of TinyURL