educative.io

Raw Console Output

Is there anyway to look at raw console output in a lesson? The code runs and says if it works or not, but it would be nice to be able to print things and see the data to see what is going on in greater depth.

Course: Educative: Interactive Courses for Software Developers
Lesson: Educative: Interactive Courses for Software Developers

Hi @Daniel_Oliver

Generally, it’s helpful for learners to access the raw console output, but for challenges and testing tasks, it’s better to omit the output and inform the learner about the results. It serves two primary purposes:

1. To make the learners work purely on logic.
  2. To mimic an interview-like environment for the learners.

To make this learning process an enriched one for our users, this is an intentional design choice.

On the old version of Grokking the Coding Interview you could look at the console output to debug your code if it didn’t work properly. Now all I get is a stack trace and there’s no way I can see to printf debug so I have no way to see what I’m doing wrong. How is this “an enriched learning experience”? It’s objectively worse than the old design. I’m not here to “mimic an interview-like environment”, I’m here to learn. As far as I can tell, the only way to debug code now is to copy-paste it into a file on my local machine and try and reproduce the test inputs - very very inconvenient. Removing this feature was a very poor “intentional design choice” in my opinion and I really think you should reconsider.

Course: Grokking Coding Interview Patterns in Python - Learn Interactively
Lesson: Reverse Words in a String - Grokking Coding Interview Patterns in Python