educative.io

The outgoing bandwidth should be 97Mb/sec instead of 1.46Gb/sec

We are getting a typed string as input and sending 10 suggestions corresponding to it. So the outgoing bandwidth needed will be 10 times the incoming bandwidth needed. This would make it 97Mb/sec instead of 1.46Gb/sec

Hi Kaushal Pranav,

Thank you for your feedback.

We have a sentence in the given lesson: “Our system would suggest the top ten queries that are roughly of the same length as the query length after each character a user types .” Therefore for each character of the input query, we generate 10 queries of an average length 15.

Following is the detail:

I agree with your observation that the outgoing bandwidth requirement for each query per character is specified to be 9.7Mb/sec. This means that for a single input character, the system needs to allocate a bandwidth of 97Mb/sec for 10 queries.

Now, let’s consider the total number of characters, which we stated to be 15. To determine the overall outgoing bandwidth needed, we can calculate the cumulative bandwidth for all characters. Taking the previously calculated bandwidth requirement of 97Mb/sec per character (due to the 10 queries), we multiply it by the total number of characters, which is 15. This calculation yields a result of 1.46Gb/sec as the overall outgoing bandwidth required for the system. Therefore, based on the given parameters, the system needs to allocate an outgoing bandwidth of 1.46Gb/sec to handle the load generated by the 15 characters and the associated queries.

I hope that helps. Happy learning!

3 Likes

Thanks @Bismillah_Jan, for the reply. This clears my doubt.

1 Like

The value 9.7Mbps already has been calculated with 15 length of characters.
IMHO, 97 Mbps is the correct number.

Course: Grokking Modern System Design Interview for Engineers & Managers - Learn Interactively
Lesson: Requirements of the Typeahead Suggestion System’s Design

Course: Grokking Modern System Design Interview for Engineers & Managers - Learn Interactively
Lesson: Requirements of the Typeahead Suggestion System’s Design