educative.io

This is copied word by word from York university paper

"Designing a Dropbox-like File Storage Service - A Performance and Cost study"

If you are confused about stuff in this design and contradictions, do yourself a favour and read this original paper. Educative did a poor job of “even” copying from the original paper.

Still the logical diagram in the paper is a little wrong as client should contact the Metadata server directly instead of going through the synchronization service (which is a complete contradiction with the written paragraphs)

Once you are done reading the paper, watch the stanford video on youtube for " How We’ve Scaled Dropbox" by dropbox architect.

These 2 resources will give you better idea.

And for god sake, do not use “DynamoDB” for metadata server as it only provides eventual consistency. We need here strong consistency and availability so something like Google Spanner will be a way better choice than this.

Which again Educative copied word-by-word from the above paper that also mentions to use DynamoDB.

4 Likes

i dont know we can design this in 45 mins interview. Research paper is a months of efforts.I can say i did not get anything from this particular article though, i was under impression to store and fetch data from cloud server, thats what google drive for me.editing of sharing file by multiple users will cause concurrency but how they handle this ,no mention:(

Thanks for sharing the paper.